The inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) contains a sensing device that converts changes in vehicle velocity to an electrical signal. The SDM compares this signal to a value stored in memory. When the generated signal exceeds the stored value, the SDM performs additional signal processing and compares the generated signals to values stored in memory. When 2 of the generated signals exceed the stored values, the SDM will cause current to flow through the inflator modules, deploying the air bags and causing DTC B0051 to set.
Conditions for Running the DTC
The SDM must be powered up.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
Ignition voltage must be present and the SDM must have commanded an air bag deployment with no faults present.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• The SDM commands the AIR BAG indicator ON via class 2 serial data.
• The SDM records crash data.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC
DTC B0051 is a latched code. You cannot clear a latched code. Replace the SDM after following the instructions in the circuit/system testing.
Reference Information Schematic Reference
Connector End View Reference
Electrical Information Reference
1. If there are signs of an air bag deployment inspect the vehicle for signs of impact or collision. Replace all components as required after an accident.
2. Replace the inflatable restraint SDM.
Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.
• Control Module References for SDM replacement, setup and programming
• SIR/SRS Wiring Repairs
DTC B0053 Diagnostic Instructions
• Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
• Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
• Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.