The components of an internal combustion engine develop wear patterns with their mating components. During disassembly of the engine, parts should be separated and kept in order so they may be reinstalled in the same location from which they were removed.
REPLACING ENGINE GASKETS
1. Do not reuse any gasket unless otherwise specified. Reusable gaskets will be identified in the service procedure. Do not apply sealant to any gasket or sealing surface unless called out in the service procedure.
2. Use jack screws to separate components.
3. Remove all of the gasket and the sealing material from the component using a plastic or a wood scraper. Do not gouge or scrape the sealing surfaces.
IMPORTANT: Do not allow the sealant to enter any blind threaded holes. The sealant may cause the following conditions: • Prevent you from properly seating the bolt
4. When assembling components, use only the sealant specified in the service procedure.
Ensure that the sealing surfaces are clean and free of debris or oil. When applying sealant to a component, apply a bead size as specified in the service procedure.
5. Tighten the bolts to the specifications.