• J 8001 Dial Indicator Set
• J 26900-13 Magnetic Indicator Base
• J 35138 Converter End Play Checker. See Special Tools.
• J 39195 Converter End Play Check Tool. See Special Tools.
Fig. 471: Identifying J 35138, J 26900-13 & J 8001 Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
1. Inspect the torque converter and replace if any of the following conditions exist:
• Evidence of damage to the pump assembly.
• Metal particles are found after flushing the cooler and cooler lines.
• External leaks in the hub area.
• Converter pilot is broken, damaged or poor fit into the crankshaft.
• Converter hub is scored or damaged.
• Internal damage to the stator.
• Contamination from engine coolant.
• Excessive end play.
2. Install the J 35138 , the J 26900-13 and the J 8001 or J 39195 to be used with the 300 mm torque converter. See Special Tools.
• The end play for a 245 mm torque converter should be 0-0.38 mm (0-0.015 in).
• The end play for a 298 mm torque converter should be 0.1-0.48 mm (0.004-0.019 in).
• The end play for a 258 mm and 300 mm torque converter should be 0.1-0.5 mm (0.004-0.020 in).
3. Remove the tools.